Thursday, August 12, 2010


Red Queens
It was a “no brainer” especially since I haven’t actually entered a video rental store in about 3 years, how I would access the science fiction video for module 4. Netflix! I wouldn’t even have to leave the couch, although I did as I was camping while I had to fulfill the assignment requirements. I searched the Netflix web site and located a few Philip Dick videos that were able to be streamed and I made my choice from those that were available. The ability to stream a video and view in on the laptop all while the kids are roasting marshmallows is an amazing convenience and a service which will soon be obsolescing many other venues of video rentals etc.
Thornburg states that technologies need to be accepted in order to have an impact, and the rate of acceptance which relates to the quality and capabilities of the technology itself (Thornburg, 2008). Apply this idea to Netflix and the ability to stream videos anywhere, at any time and for a fraction of the cost of DVD rentals or Video on Demand charges, and this emerging technology is well on the way to making both obsolete.
This current competition arising between DVDs and video on demand can be considered a Red Queen as the speed for which the competition began was rapid, with each sector trying to outdo the other. Unfortunately, I believe that these two technologies will be upset by a wildcard newly emerging on the scene and that is the ability to stream video. Streaming a video is providing the consumer with a service that helps to make their life less complicated. No longer does one have to trudge out twice (once to get the video and once to return), pay late fees, worry about obtaining a new release. With Netflix the consumer pays a low monthly rate and receives videos via USP. They may keep these videos as long as they want without incurring any late fees and can stream from the Netflix site for no additional charge and view additional movies.
Based on McLuhan’s tetrad, DVDs and Video on demand obsoletes having to travel to the movie theater to view movies, saving consumers money and time. These two technologies also enhanced how people began to view movies, which is now able to be done while wearing jammies sitting on their sofas. This newness of staying home to view movies rekindles the time of the 50’s and 60’s when families spent time together, listening to radio broadcast and TV shows. When pushed to the extreme these technologies will become live video streaming of movies, concerts, news features and possibly new releases currently playing at the local theater.

References
Thornburg, D. D. (2008b). Emerging technologies and McLuhan's Laws of Media. Lake Barrington, IL: Thornburg Center for Space Exploration.
Thornburg, D. (2008c). Red Queens, butterflies, and strange attractors: Imperfect lenses into emergent technologies. Lake Barrington, IL: Thornburg Center for Space Exploration.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jane!

    I love the picture! I didn't think to use a graphic on my blog, but I may have to "copy" you and go back and find a picture. Your Red Queen is great!

    I haven't tried Netflix, but I have several friends who use it frequently. However, I haven't been in a video store in quite sometime, myself. I do still have a Blockbuster card, but On Demand is so much more convenient.

    I see the video stores slowly becoming obsolete and that is a bit sad due to jobs and the fact that sometimes change is nostalgic for me.

    However, I welcome the convenience of never leaving the couch to be entertained!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    Unlike you I have been in the video store recently, but I have noticed that they are becoming obsolete due to kiosk machines, video on demand and video streaming, all which is less expensive than going to an actual video store. I also believe that live video streaming will occur in the future. I love your graphic for red queens. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete