Sunday, November 8, 2009

Mind Map Static vs. Dynamic Technologies

Please follow the link to my wiki page to view graphic organizer for Module 5.

http://dewittwiki.wikispaces.com/EDUC+7102


Moving Toward Dynamic Technologies


In relation to the static-dynamic continuum I believe I fall somewhere in the middle ground. With the technology requirements for my Walden courses, I have set up wikis, blogs, and collaborated with group member using Skype, live chats, and googledocs. These are all things that prior to advancing my education I most likely would not have had the opportunity to utilize. According to Moller, many criteria should be considered when selecting specific technology for a given lesson (Moller, 2008). To date I have not set up these technologies for my personal classroom, but intend to begin setting up pages for my students to access while working on class projects. If I do not take the opportunity to show my students what is available to them, then I am not fulfilling my obligation as a 21st century instructor.

As a result of what I have learned in this course I feel I am better equipped and more knowledgeable about what technologies are available. In order for me to begin to move to the Dynamic side I would have to begin to explore the use of mind tools and how I could adapt it to the existing curriculum. For as Moller states, without exploring, thinking, analyzing, creating, and experimenting, powerful, higher-level learning is not possible (Moller, 2008).

Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technologies. Laureate Education Inc.

4 comments:

  1. I am in the middle also. I need to explore more dynamic technologies myself and use them in the classroom with my students. As with any other technology, I have to feel comfortable with the technology before I teach or use it with my students. I truly agree with your statement about fulfilling your obligation as a 21 century instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, I also feel better equipped, but as you not yet comfortable with the newer dynamic technologies, like Skype, and live chats. I do intend to utilize and practice until I am ready to integrate it in my instruction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane,
    I too view myself as being in the middle. There are so many new technologies available that I have yet to explore. I also agree with your statement about being a 21st century instructor. That too is my goal and should be the goal of every educators because, after all we are serving 21st century learners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol,

    I sometimes jump the gun and try to use some new technology before I have had a chance to practice and then I find myself getting irritated. I think that is what happens to many people who try to integrate technology into their current curriculum and then they become turned off and won't even try.

    ReplyDelete