Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Next Generation of Distance Education

After reading the three articles by Moller, Huett, Foshay, and Coleman and listening to Dr. Simonson, there is a distinct comparison on many viewpoints in relation to distance or e learning. Simonson compared distance learning and traditional face-to-face learning (F2F) and rationalized that the two cannot be considered the same, but equivalent. His equivalent theory is based upon the idea that education, when practiced at a distance, should not be identical to F2F, but equivalent (Laureate Education, 2008). Having experienced distance learning first hand, I believe this theory is spot on.

All articles stressed the importance of access, and greater flexibility involved in distance learning as compared to the traditional brick and mortar environment. In addition, Moller, Huett, Foshay and Coleman theorized about reputable leaning situations and how distance learning is not always perceived as worthy when compared to F2F experiences. I can personally attest to the credible education I received via distance learning, but it required a tremendous amount of hard work and diligence on my part. I believe you only get out of education as much as you put into it, regardless of the delivery method.

Distance learning will continue to grow in popularity as people forgo the traditional environment for one that is flexible, portable, cost effective, and reputable.

Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Huett, J. (2008, May/June). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the web (Part 1: Training and development). TechTrends, 52(3), 70-75. Use the Academic Search Premier database, and search using the article's Accession Number: 33281719.

Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Huett, J. (2008, May/June). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the web (Part 2: Higher education). TechTrends, 52(4), 66-70. Use the Academic Search Premier database, and search using the article's Accession Number: 33991516.

Huett, J., Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Coleman, C. (2008, September/October). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the web (Part 3: K12). TechTrends, 52(5). 63-67.

Simonson, Michael Equivalency theory. Video posted to
http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=3649019&Survey=1&47=3951732&ClientNodeID=984645&coursenav=1&bhcp=1 viewed September 13, 2009.

6 comments:

  1. I learn much better when I meet face to face and interact with people. Therefore, distance education is very hard work for me. I have found that I put forth much more effort in this program. I do not feel by any means that F2F and distance education are identical; however, I do agree that the learning expectations should be equilivant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany

    I also an putting a great deal of effort into the course work. I think the expectation is greater due to a lack of F2F communication and collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane
    We've been assigned to the same learning community. I've changed my blog URL to http://wpc-eductech.blogspot.com/. I initially had my blog entry posted at blogline but soon realized that "blogspot" was more user friendly.

    In reading your post I agree that it does require lots of discipline and hardwork to be successful in an online course. I also teach two online courses for my local community college and students who've never taken an online course have a very difficult time keeping up with the assignments and tests. Organization and time-management is key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, hard work and diligence is the rule of thumb for anyone who wants to succeed in an online learning environment. Learning outcomes definitely have to been equivalent to face-to-face instruction, but the tools and methods of delivery will of course be different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane,

    I agree that the F2F and online learning is not the same but the learning outcomes are and should be. Online learning takes a lot of self determination and a lot of "adult" skills I still don't see how Online learning can successfully integrated into the K-12 sector. Do you?


    Tiffany... are you in our learning group for this class? I didn't see your name on the list.. did I miss it? If so I need to comment on your blog too... too much to do and too little time!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you get the picture by your name? I can't figure this out?

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete